Oct 22, 2003

I think of myself as a cynical patriot (if such a thing is possible). I recognize our system is an imperfect one but, still has much to offer and has a great deal of potential...

One of the foundations of our society, is the framework set up to insure citizen’s personal liberties. A lot of people in our country take these liberties for granted but, in these days of Patriot Acts, global terrorism and a thousand other buzzwords designed to put fear in people’s hearts, now more than ever, we need to be aware of what we would sacrifice in the name of being “safe.”

I find it unfortunate people would buy into the whole concept of being “totally safe,” I don’t think there is such a thing as a perfect world and even if it were possible I think many of us would find the price for it far to high to pay.

It is in such a context, I find myself once again musing over the insidious nature of things like EZ-Pass. Under the guise of saving the average commuter time, people actually find themselves now giving the government a way to monitor their movement. I’ve resisted the urge to get EZ-Pass for a long time now. Yes, I see the cars moving through the toll plaza and am somewhat envious but, I smile wryly when I see the report on the news about people being sent warnings for moving through toll plazas at a high rate of speed and being threatened with summons upon their next infraction.

When the government tries to take away your freedoms, they won’t do it in big sweeping movements but, in little seemingly painless ways akin to the heat of the water being turned up when a lobster is in the pot as opposed to plunging the beasty into a pot that’s already boiling. It’s a slow process - one we have to guard against.

Then I come across things like this:

TIA may be the closest thing to a true "Big Brother" program that has ever been seriously contemplated in the United States.


When reading through it, I can’t help but be fascinated by the way technology which can be put to such wonderful purposes can at the same time be abused.

Think EZ-Pass is inocuous?

The TRANSMIT system uses transponders issued as part of the EZ Pass electronic toll-collection systems. TRANSMIT has installed a number of readers along specified roadways with the capability of identifying the vehicles equipped with transponders at periodic intervals. Current Status: Operational. Due to extreme success of system, it will be expanded.

No comments: